Friday, March 25, 2011

I really dislike mac.

I've never really been a mac fan.  I will admit, mac makes some fairly decent, and attractive computers.  I'm personally fond of the look of their macbooks (though i think it would be better if they had a wider color selection), and although i'm not too familiar with the operating system, i'm sure it has it's strong points.  However, a cool looking computer isn't worth the extra few thousand dollars (that goes for you too alienware).  My Dell laptop looks pretty nifty as well, and It was sure a lot cheaper than a comparable macbook.  It drives me mad when people claim that mac's are better than PC's, because they are "super awesome, and perfect, and purdy".  There's also a misconception that Mac's can't get viruses.  In fact, today in my psychology class we had a guest speaker come in to talk about internet safety.  He commented on how "No one gets viruses on macs, because since most businesses use windows, hackers don't bother targeting os x, and there probably won't be a threat for 10 or so years."  It's a computer.  No matter what operating system it has, it can still get a virus.  Hell, they already have viruses, Google it.  Os X has it's fair share of security issues.  And if you think hackers only target businesses/corporations then you're just plain ignorant.
That being said If you own a mac i'm not calling you ignorant and stupid, and all that.  (i know you're out there.  12% of my pageviews are from Mac :b) Some people have the money, and don't mind spending it on a mac.  Some people like the Mac OS, and the looks of their computer, and all that jazz.  Thats a personal decision, and you should do whatever floats your boat.  I'm just saying do your homework before you buy, and educate yourself.  Then when someone asks why you bought a mac, you won't infuriate them with an ignorant answer like "it doesn't get viruses" or "It's the best computer out there".  Additionally a few hours of research could save you a few Thousand dollars if you find buying/building a PC is a better route for you.

I stumbled on this image while wandering aimlessly through the internet today.  The only issue i found with it is the raid card comment.  There are raid cards on newegg for up to 3000 dollars.  However, i highly doubt the "Macbook raid card" is comparable to that model (i'd have to research the specs of the card they offer), and i'm sure a cheaper model would work fine.  Additionally the amount of people who actually require a raid card is pretty insignificant. Everything else they mentioned is pretty much spot on.  You're getting ripped off.

20 comments:

  1. But macs look pretty. I've never owned a mac and never will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So don't buy a mac? No need to push your thoughts on everyone else.
    Ubuntu here btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mean to push my thoughts on others, i'm simply arguing my side of the "mac vs PC" debate. I'm probably going to voice my opinion on this blog from time to time, simply because this is my place to write about my thoughts away from the people i know (personally. like facebook friends). Like i said, I mean no disrespect by it, and If you want to get a Mac, go for it.
    I've been meaning to give Ubuntu a try. I used to have it on my old computer, but ended up wiping the hard drive for a new project. I've heard lots of good things about it though :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so many bad things about macs, it's crazy. I've never had the urge to buy one though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, hardware is goddamn expensive but the support and how stuff works is so much better with mac.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Macs have their place, but for the most part unnecessary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure that was written by a Windows Fanboy. There are similar images related to Windows PC written by Apple fanboys. Fact is, choose which one you like best and stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, i dont like macs, they cost too much and you cant customize them, anyone who's serious about computers needs a PC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tell me about it. The next time I hear someone rave about an iPad, I'm going to lose it! It's half of a computer, in hardware and functionality! Apple fans, get over yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've grown up on macs, and I see nothing wrong with them. Sure, if I'm paying for something myself I'll get a PC, but I don't know why people need to feel uppity on either side of this debate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha new follower, check my blog out!

    i agree, never owned a mac, performance for price leaves a lot to be desired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, even though Macs are known for not having any viruses, I just hate their mouse with a passion. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  13. posted this comment from a mac

    followed :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone dislikes mac, but some refuse to see the truth ;P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mac makes some decent computers, but they are just too damn expensive! I can build a top of the line PC for way cheaper than a mac book pro costs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whilst I don't like macs myself I will stand up for them in the virus department.

    Pretty much most viruses are coded for windows. If one was to infect a mac...it just wouldn't work, because macs coding is different to windows. It would be like a virus that only infects chickens trying to infect a human. The human will carry it but won't be infected.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a mac. Personally, if you use it for leisure, media programs and study, I prefer it. If you're looking for more office related stuff, I'd go for windows.
    That's my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to agree, I'm not a big Mac fan either.. I just hate their mouse with a passion =P

    ReplyDelete