Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mmmm grill. Check out 'dem bunz.

I didn't really have a blog topic today (as usual) so I figured i'd rant (as usual) about something that's been bothering me for the last year or so.

I just recently passed my summer school course i mentioned in previous blogs with an A.  I find this both exhilarating, as it will raise my GPA, and a tad disheartening at the same time.  I say this because I quite literally did not pay attention to a single lecture after day one.  My "fuck yeah, i'm gonna do great this semester" attitude gave way to my inability to pay attention to things i don't care about.  By day two I had my netbook out for all four hours of class surfing facebook, checking up on forums, reading blogs, and other things of the sort.  Yet i managed to pull an A after 3 tests, 3 500 word essays, and 3 quizzes.  So why's that disheartening?  I mean don't get me wrong, I really don't mind getting a 4.0 semester with a class I couldn't give less of a shit about.

The ultimate time wasting tool: The Netbook.


Really, I just feel like it was a waste of time.  I mean, I should be learning about things that are actually going to benefit my career path in college?  I should be learning about the things I intend on spending the rest of my life working on.  That's the entire reason i'm attending in the first place right?  Thus far I've taken 3 summer school courses, and two full semesters of courses at my community college, not a single course relating to my major.  They've all be core classes.  But wasn't that what high school was for?  These core requirements are ridiculous, 2 English classes, humanities, speech, music appreciation?  I'm pretty sure that was covered in the other 12 years of schooling I have under my belt.  Are these bogus requirements just there for the colleges to make more money, or what?  My British literature/English 2 professor told us an interesting take on this issue once.  He said that in his eyes, and the staffs eyes, college isn't just a place to learn job skills.  It's also a place where you learn life skills.  And to an extent I can see what he means.  Speech is intended to help people interact with others better.  However, I took speech in high school, so i suppose that's already taken care of isn't it?  Music appreciation isn't intended to teach me anything work related.  It's supposed to teach me about music, and (apparently) how to appreciate it.  But i don't care that they want to teach me these "life skills".  I'm not there for that.  I'm there to learn about work skills.  I can learn life skills on my own (free) time.  I mean, i can see what they are going for with music appreciation, but that class was utterly worthless to me.  I already have a deep appreciation for music of several genre's and time periods.  I didn't need to pay for a class to sit in for that.  It's just a waste of my time, along with a boost to my GPA.  Perhaps my attitude will change next year, when i go off to attend a 4 year university and start taking more major specific courses, but as of now, i just don't understand it. (and by "don't understand it" I mean I think they should stop wasting my time and money with it.)

9 comments:

  1. ahaha, we all have thse classes intended to raise gpa... but yeah, i always have that same mentality then don't pay attention in class whatsoever... it sucks! best of luck dude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... those do make you feel that way. My time-waster was to complete the crossword in the school paper. I figured I was at least improving my vocab. But yeah, it kind of stings when you think about it, so try not to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just do what makes you happy and be passionate about it... But, know that it's a predictable goal. I hate saying this to people and then they want to pursue acting or some stupid shit haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice netbook. Hit me back, alphabetalife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i completely agree, i hate paying for classes i dont need or want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm kind of on the same boat! I never have a blog topic and I'm also questioning my purpose at university.

    I think your teacher was right in saying that college helps build 'life skills'. However, I don't think it is the classes we take that help us learn these things, it's more about the experience of college that helps us 'grow'. We meet new people, so therefore learn to communicate better. You know what I mean? :)

    ReplyDelete